22 October 2010
By Linda Beer, Dean of Student Affairs
Classes have started, tests are being taken, and fall semester is off to a great start. SCC students are in the midst of tackling exciting learning opportunities, and meeting the challenges of balancing school, personal life, and work commitments. Ask any student, and they will tell you they are spending time in the classroom, library, computer labs, and even taking advantage of other opportunities available through Student Life – lots of opportunities! Student Life Director, Heidi Beske encourages students to ‘Experience More Than Classes.’ This may mean becoming a student senator, joining a student organization, or supporting SCC activities and events.
The week of September 20th was SCC Homecoming week. Students were busy planning and participating in a week’s worth of events…for example:
- Serving over 700 rootbeer floats (over 650 floats in 4 hours!) and free popcorn were served!
- Funny Fotos
- Rock Band
- Comedian Mary Mack FREE for all!! Everyone welcome!
- NM Ag Olympics -- Sponsored by Post-Secondary Ag Students – 60+ participants!
- Blood Drive sponsored by the Red Cross & SCC’s Student Nurses
- Association -- thanks to the 42 donors who contributed !
- NM Supersize Volleyball
Watch for the weekly Illuminate electronic newsletter that highlights campus events & activities, upcoming events, off campus opportunities, and much more! Here is a small sample of Student Life opportunities coming up:
- STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS: Interested in joining the 0-5k Running Club, Spotlight Newspaper, Photography Club or Healthy U (health & wellness) or other student organizations? Stop by NM room C106 to get more information or to sign up!
- GRADUATION: Attention Spring 2011 Graduates! Hand in your Graduation Applications to Student Affairs by Monday, October 18th, to receive priority registration for Spring 2011. See your Advisor today to make sure everything is in place for graduation.
- TRAVEL: Germany Trip contact person is Jane Greathouse.
- COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT: The local National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is collecting items for the St. Peter Treatments center now through December. Lists and drop boxes are located on the NM campus in C106 & ASC.
- EVENTS: Mark your calendars for the Global Connections Conference Oct. 14 & 15 NM Campus! Featuring Hayor Bibimma - Drumming & Dancing Thursday evening.
- SPEAKERS: Society for Leadership Speaker Session w/Shawn Harper “Your Success Capacity” September 28th. (Upcoming speakers Oct. 19 & Nov. 9th).