North Mankato               Faribault
B-132                                A-116
507-389-7222                 507-332-5847


Disability Director:
Marilyn Weber
TTY: 711 or 1.800.627.3529
Fax: 507-389-7464
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it


There are several laws that address SCC's responsibilities regarding individuals with disabilities. These include the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Rehabilitation Act, and the Minnesota Human Rights Act.

The college has two basic duties under the law regarding individuals with disabilities:

  • First, SCC must not discriminate against individuals on the basis of disability. A 'qualified' individual with a documented disability is someone who, with or without reasonable accommodation, meets the essential eligibility requirements for the receipt of services or the participation in programs, services, or activities provided by this college. The college may not treat qualified individuals with disabilities differently from individuals without disabilities or have a policy that disparately impacts individuals with disabilities.
  • Second, SCC must provide access to its programs and services, and reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with documented disabilities to allow them to effectively participate in those programs and services.

The laws apply only if an individual establishes that he or she meets the legal definition of "disabled". Sometimes meeting this standard is difficult and requires information from appropriate professionals.   

What is a disability

An individual with a disability is any person who:  

  1. has a physical, mental or emotional impairment that substantially or materially limits one or more of their major life activities;
  2. has a record of such an impairment; or
  3. is regarded as having an impairment.

How to arrange Disability Services at SCC

1.  Complete an Intake Form before meeting with the Disability Director.
Available in the ASC office or here - Intake Form

2.  Provide the ASC with documentation

Guidelines for what is needed for documentation are available in the ASC office or by clicking the appropriate link below.

Documentation forms - The following forms can be printed out and given to your certifying professional.  They include guidelines for what is needed for documentation to establish a qualifying disability.

3. Meet with the Disability Director
Make an appointment to meet with the Disability Director  

4. Request reasonable accommodations
Be prepared to discuss your disability and how it affects you in the college setting  

5. Contact the ASC if there are any problems with your accommodations or if you no longer need accommodations.  

6. Update the accommodation plan prior to each semester.
Make an appointment prior to the beginning of each semester to set up services for the next semester  

Accommodated Accuplacer Testing for Students with a Qualifying Disability

The Academic Support Center provides alternate format Accuplacer testing for students providing recent documentation of a qualifying disability.  

Examples include:  Testing in a private room, screen display enlargements, auditory version, Braille, large print, and others.  

The student needs to send in recent documentation of the qualifying disability along with a request to take the accommodated Accuplacer to:
             Academic Support Center - Accommodated Accuplacer Request
             South Central College
             1920 Lee Boulevard
             North Mankato, MN 56003
             Fax: (507) 389-7464
Once the documentation and request are received and reviewed, the student will be contacted directly to schedule an appointment to take the accommodated Accuplacer.  Please contact Susan Mucha at (507) 389-7453 with any questions in regards to this process.

How to arrange Accommodations due to a Temporary Disability

If you have a temporary disability (broken arm, issues due to surgery, etc.), you may request services through the Academic Support Center.

  1. Complete and return a Temporary Accommodation Request Form
    Available in the ASC office or here - Temp Accommodation Request Form
  2. Provide the ASC with documentation
    Documentation should include a recent diagnosis from a medical physician on letterhead, a description of present symptoms, an explanation of how the temporary disability might affect the student within the academic setting, and suggested classroom and/or testing accommodations.

Six short guides for students with disabilities who are planning on attending college

  1. Self-Advocacy
  2. Accommodations for Students with Disabilities
  3. Rights and Responsibilities of Students with Disabilities
  4. The Grievance Procedure
  5. What is a Disability?
  6. A Parent's Guide to College

Reasonable Accommodations

Transition Resource Guide

Transition Webinars