Bielefeld, Germany Student Ambassadors
Download2015 Student Ambassador Travel Scholarship Application Form (PDF 688 kb)
Approximate Travel Dates: May 28 - June 9, 2015
Application Deadline: December 2, 4 p.m.
South Central College (SCC) has partnered with Carl-Severing Polytechnic in Bielefeld, Germany, to create a student exchange program to build educational, cultural and global awareness. Students from Carl-Severing visit Minnesota in the fall while SCC students visit Bielefeld in early summer. Five SCC students will be selected to participate in this learning opportunity and will receive a Student Ambassador Travel Scholarship that will cover a significant portion of the trip expenses. In return, SCC will ask the students to serve as good will ambassadors when Carl-Severing students visit during Fall 2015 and to make several group presentations on both campuses and to several service organizations and business partners.
Students will travel with an SCC instructor, stay with a host family for approximately ten days, spend time at Carl-Severing, and tour Bielefeld and its surrounding communities.
Qualifying students must be enrolled at South Central College full-time and have completed a full semester with a GPA of 3.0 or higher or be enrolled full-time in their first semester and be in good standing as reported by their instructors and intend to enroll at SCC in Fall 2015. An application and the names of two references will be required. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age prior to May 28, 2015.
The Student Ambassador Travel Scholarship amount for this travel opportunity will cover most of the travel costs including air fare, housing, land travel, most meals, and entrance fees to sites and events. Students who are selected for this scholarship will be expected to contribute $800 plus the cost of a 1-credit travel class (to be taken during Spring term). PSEO students will not be reimbursed for any costs associated with the trip or the 1-credit course (if questions, please contact Ray Schmidt below).
Students who receive this scholarship will be expected to do the following:
- Enroll in a 1-credit travel course beginning for Sring 2015. (Cost: approximately $190)
- Pay $800 for costs not covered by the scholarship, of which a non-refundable payment of $250 is due by
December 17, 2014.
- Participate in the trip from about May 28 - June 9, 2015.
- Secure a valid U.S. passport by April 1, 2015.
- Serve as a Host Family and good-will ambassador to students who visit from Carl Severing during Fall 2015.
- Present as a group on the North Mankato and Faribault campuses.
- Present as a group to 3-5 selected service organizations (such as Rotary) and/or industry partners.
- Provide feedback about the travel program.
Qualifying students must meet the following criteria:
- Intend to continue at SCC during Fall 2015
- Grade Point Average of 3.0 or higher for returning students
- Be in "good standing" for students who enrolled Fall 2014
- Age 18 or older prior to 28 May, 2015
Selection will be based on the overall quality of the application.
Deadline for application: December 2, 2014 by 4 p.m.
2015 Student Ambassador Travel Scholarship Application Form
(PDF 688 kb)
Students are expected to type their responses and submit a copy of the completed application to:
Dr. Peter Wruck at South Central College – Room C167
1920 Lee Boulevard
North Mankato, Minnesota 56003