South Central College Writing Festival
What? October 10, 2013
North Mankato Campus: Conference Center
Faribault Campus: ITV Rooms C115 & A111B
Keynote Speaker - Bronson Lemer
Bronson Lemer, author of The Last Deployment: How a Gay, Hammer-Swinging Twentysomething Survived a Year in Iraq, holds a bachelor of arts degree in mass communications and English from Minnesota State University Moorhead and a master of fine arts degree in creative writing from Minnesota State University, Mankato. He has taught composition, creative writing, and humanities courses for Turtle Mountain Community College in Belcourt, North Dakota; Minnesota State University, Mankato; and onboard a U.S. Navy ship through the Navy College Program for Afloat College Education at Central Texas College. He also taught English as a Second Language (ESL) courses in Gyeongju, South Korea and in China for Fort Hays State University (Kansas). He currently works as a writing specialist for the University of Minnesota Rochester, where he teaches writing classes, advises capstone projects, and works with faculty to integrate writing into the curriculum.9-9:50
- Keynote Speaker - Bronson Lemer
- Session 1: How to Self-Publish
- Session 2: Business Writing & Being Professional
- Session 3: Creative Reading: Young Adult
- Faculty: How to Add Writing to a Course Without Going Crazy:Writing Across the Curriculum
- Students: Online Writing Resources
- Creative Readings: Sakatah Student Readings
- Faculty: How to Add Writing to a Course Wihtout Going Crazy: Writing Across the Curriculum
- Students: Tips on Doing Research
- Creative Readings: Poetry
- Faculty: Tips for Preventing Plagiarism
- Students: Tips for Preventing Accidental Plagiarism
- Creative Readings: Prose
South Central College will have a moment of silence at 8:45 a.m. to remember September 11th.
Let us come together and take a day to remember the day that changed us forever.
“May the lives remembered, the deeds recognized, and the spirit reawakened be eternal beacons, which reaffirm respect
for life, strengthen our resolve to preserve freedom, and inspire an end to hatred, ignorance and intolerance.”
These words are the final part of the mission statement of the National September 11 Memorial & Museum at the World
Trade Center in New York City. As the nation and world mark the 12th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, South Central
College shares the sentiments of the 9/11 Memorial and calls upon our students and employees to make Sept. 11, 2013 a
day of commemoration.
Take a moment on this day to remember and honor the thousands of innocent men, women, and children murdered by
terrorists in the horrific attacks of February 26, 1993 and September 11, 2001. Thank our local first responders for their
dedication to protecting our community.
Remember the many Americans who have served and are currently serving in our nation’s military—many of whom
enlisted as a response to the 9/11 attacks.
The moments below outline the timeline of events on September 11, 2001:
8:46 am: Hijackers deliberately crash American Airlines Flight 11 into floors 93 - 99 of the North Tower (1 WTC).
9:03 am: Hijackers deliberately crash United Airlines Flight 175 into floors 77 - 85 of the South Tower (2 WTC).
9:37 am: Hijackers deliberately crash American Airlines Flight 77 into the Pentagon, near Washington, D.C.
9:59 am: The South Tower (2 WTC) collapses.
10:03 am: After learning of the other attacks, passengers on United Airlines Flight 93 launch a counterattack on
hijackers aboard their plane to try to seize control of the aircraft. In response, the hijackers crash the plane
into an empty field near Shanksville, P.A.
10:28 am: The North Tower (1 WTC) collapses. The 16-acre World Trade Center site is in ruins, with collateral damage
affecting all adjacent properties and streets. A rescue and recovery effort begins immediately.
- National Society of Leadership 2013 Spring Inductions
- Developing a Vision for Faribault Advance Technology Center
- Financial Aid Disbursement 9/13/2013
- No Tuition Increase for Two Years
- Presidential Search
- Student Satisfaction Inventory helps to identify SCC strengths
- Computer Integrated Machining FastTRAC
- SCC's New Certified Nurse Educators
- SCC Faculty/Staff Diversity Training
- Prepare for this Summer and Spring
- SCC Awards and Recognition
- Student Senate Named MSCSA Student Senate of the Year
- SCC employees participate in the City of Faribault’s Beautification Day
- Student Life
- Changes to the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy
- Online Learning at SCC
- Right Skills Now
- Speech Team - May 2010
- SCC Students Take Top Honors at 2010 SkillsUSA State Conference
- Long Term Care Open Enrollment
- SCC salutes our Retirees--Celebrating 92 years of dedicated service to South Central College!
- Phi Theta Kappa - April 2010
- News from Engineering and Construction Technology - April 2010
- Delta Epsilon Chi State Career Development Conference Update