There are many factors that determine the cost of your education, including tuition & fees, textbooks & supplies, transportation, housing, etc. For
What is Financial Aid?
Financial aid is money to help students pay for their educational expenses at a post-secondary school. Some types of financial aid do not need to be repaid and some types do.
What kinds of financial aid are available?
Grants – These are financial aid funds that do NOT have to be repaid. Grant eligibility is based on the student’s financial need.
Loans – These are financial aid funds that you must repay with interest. Student loans are low-interest and affordable. There are limits on the maximum amount you are eligible to receive each academic year. Students must be enrolled at least part time (6 credits or more) to qualify each semester.
Work-Study – Work-study is an hourly wage earned through a job on campus while attending school and does not have to be repaid. The hours a student may work depends upon the student’s financial need, class schedule and their particular job. Students must be enrolled at least part time (6 credits or more) to qualify each semester.
How do apply for financial aid?
To be considered for financial assistance, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for every academic year that you attend. The FAFSA is an online application that can be found at www.fafsa.gov. The Federal School Code for South Central College is 005537.
Steps to apply for Financial Aid:
- Complete the FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov.
- Enter 005537 for SCC’s school code.
- Submit additional documents to the college, if requested.
- Review your Financial Aid Award Letter on your E-services account at www.southcentral.edu. Your award letter outlines what financial aid programs you qualify for and the amount at the different
- Accept your loan eligibility, if you determine you will need a college loan. Since loan money is paid back, with interest, you get to decide if and how much you would like to borrow each term. To do so, follow the instructions from your award letter to accept your aid through your E-services account.
What other help is available?
Scholarships are a type of gift aid that does NOT need to be repaid. Thanks to the generosity of area businesses, individuals, South Central College staff and faculty, our Foundations award over $300,000 in scholarships to qualifying students. You can visit our website at www.southcentral.edu/scholarships for more information and to complete an application. The deadline is in March of each year to be considered for the following academic year.
All SCC students are eligible to apply!
Other scholarship opportunities:
- Organizations (including professional associations) related to your field of interest
- Your employer or your parents’ employers
- Your church or community organizations, local businesses, or civic groups
- Your high school
- www.studentaid.ed.gov - Free Information from the US Department of Education on preparing for and funding education beyond high school
- www.fastweb.com - A nationwide scholarship search database
- www.finaid.org - A comprehensive source of student financial aid information, advice and tools
- https://southcentral.gradready.com - learn more about paying for college, money management and student loan repayment
Who can I contact for help with this information?
SCC Financial Aid Offices
Faribault Campus - 1225 Third Street SW Faribault, MN 55021 | 507-332-5805 or 1-800-422-0391 Fax: 507-332-5888
North Mankato Campus - 1920 Lee Blvd. North Mankato, MN 56003 | 507-389-7220 or 1-800-722-9359 Fax: 507-389-7419