The Accuplacer is a comprehensive system of assessment, advisement, and placement for students entering college. It is composed of un-timed, computer adaptive, multiple choice assessments. The system determines which courses are appropriate for students and whether college readiness classes are needed. Calculators, dictionaries, and other materials are not allowed in the testing area.
The Accuplacer assessment must be completed prior to the application deadline. Please review the General Admissions Requirements page for your specific application deadline. You may be waived of the accuplacer exam based on criteria shown below.
You are strongly encouraged to study for the Accuplacer Exam. Depending on your major and how you score on the exam, you may end up taking 2 semesters of college prep courses that do not count towards your degree. Test preparation, study web sites, practice exams, and other resources are provided below.
Free Study App
Click here to obtain an access code for a FREE Study App that you can download.
This study app features practice tests in Arithmetic, Elementary Algebra, College-Level Math, Reading Comprehension and Sentence Skills. You can access the site from a computer, tablet, or Smartphone and familiarize yourselves with the basic content areas of ACCUPLACER tests.
The Study App includes the following features:
- Sample Tests that help you experience the types of questions to be asked on test day
- "Learn As You Go" feature that provides immediate feedback after each question is submitted and includes an explanation for the correct response
- Save your work-in-progress, and resume practicing at a later time
- Review your score history to identify areas of strength and weakness
- 6 months of access
Other Accuplacer resources:
Official College Board sample questions and practice assessments
General Accuplacer Test Preparation
ESL related resources:
Do all students have to complete the Accuplacer?
All applicants to South Central College must complete the Accuplacer assessment for enrollment into a program, orientation, and course registration unless they meet one of the following requirements listed below. Please contact the Admissions Office at 507-389-7220, option 1 if you believe you should be reviewed for an Accuplacer waiver.
The Accuplacer assessment is NOT required for the following students:
- Applicants that have active Accuplacer assessment scores in the areas of Reading and Arithmetic from an approved proctoring site. Accuplacer Reading scores are valid for 3 calendar years and the Accuplacer Arithmetic scores are valid for 2 calendar years. Students applying to South Central College that tested at another location should verify that South Central College can access their scores by contacting the Admissions Office at (800) 722-9359.
- Applicants with an ACT subject area score of 21 in Reading and/or 18 in English and/or 22 in Math will be exempted from the corresponding Accuplacer subject area. The ACT must have been completed within the last 3 calendar years for Reading and English, two calendar years for Math. Official ACT scores must be sent from ACT to the SCC Admissions Office.
- Applicants with an SAT subject area score of 500 in the Reading, English and Math areas will be exempted from the corresponding Accuplacer subject area. The SAT must have been completed within the last 3 calendar years for Reading and English, two calendar years for Math. Official SAT scores must be sent from College Board to the SCC Admissions Office.
- Applicants with a college that identifies the following: Earned a grade of "C" or higher ("D" or higher from a MnSCU college) in a College-level (100 or above) English, Reading or Math class. The official transcript must be received at South Central College before we can review it for a possible Accuplacer waiver.
SCC Accuplacer Retesting Information
MnSCU has not established a retesting policy; however, SCC does allow retesting but strongly encourages you to take time to study before retaking the exam. People are not allowed to retest on the same day. Study resources are provided above, and if you need study resources beyond those provided above, please speak with an admissions/academic advisor. After the initial accuplacer exam, there is a $10.00/assessment fee which must be payable to the SCC Bookstore prior to taking the exam. Please bring this receipt to the testing site when you plan to retest.
Accuplacer Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the Accuplacer?
Accuplacer assessment is NOT an entrance exam and there is no fee the first time you take the assessment. Results of the test do not affect admission to the college (unless you are without a high school diploma or GED).
What areas are part of the Accuplacer assessment?
The college assesses each student in writing, reading, and mathematic skills. Results are used for advising students in properly selecting and sequencing courses.
How do I interpret my Accuplacer scores and which courses I am prepared to take?
After you take the Accuplacer Exam you will be given a copy of your test scores, with information on which South Central College courses you should be taking based on the Accuplacer scores. You can review the score requirements and associated South Central College courses via the Accuplacer Placement Chart.
I can't sign up for the Accuplacer online or it isn't working for me. Who do I contact?
Please contact the Admissions team at 507-389-7200 or 507-332-5800 for assistance during regular business hours: Monday-Friday 7:30 am-6:00 pm.
How long does the Accuplacer assessment last?
The test is self paced. Please allow yourself at least two hours to take the test so that you do not have to rush through.
What do I need to bring when I am scheduled to test? Can I bring a calculator?
For identification verification, we require all testers to bring a form of photo ID (driver's license, school ID, passport, etc). An outside calculator is not allowed during testing; however, one will be available within the assessment if it is allowed to be used on a particular section.
When will I get my results?
Results are available immediately after testing. SCC offers students that are testing the chance to meet with an Advisor after testing to discuss their individual results.
How do I interpret my Accuplacer scores and which courses I am prepared to take?
After you take the Accuplacer Exam you will be given a copy of your test scores, with information on which South Central College courses you should be taking based on the Accuplacer scores. You can review the score requirements and associated South Central College courses via the Accuplacer Placement Chart. If you have met with an academic advisor after taking the Accuplacer exam, and you still have questions about your Accuplacer score results, please contact our Admissions Team at (507) 389-7200.
Can I fail the assessment?
No. These tests assess your current skill level, not your potential. The purpose of the assessment is to determine your placement in college level course work, which enables you and your advisor or counselor to make informed decisions about which courses to take at the beginning of your college career. The assessment does not affect your admission to SCC unless you are planning to attend South Central College without earning a high school diploma or GED before enrolling in classes; however, the scores can impact course placement.
Who do I contact if I want to discuss Accuplacer testing with accommodations?
What if I don’t have a high school diploma or GED certificate?
If you did not graduate high school and did not obtain a GED certificate you are required to take the Ability to Benefit accuplacer which must be scheduled with the Associate Director of Admissions in advance of the date you intend to take the exam. If you take the standard accuplacer the results will not be considered for admissions to the college. Financial Aid may or may not be available for students without a high school diploma or GED.
I can't get to a SCC campus to complete my Accuplacer assessment. Can I test elsewhere?
If you live within the state of Minnesota, but far enough away that taking the test here is not feasible, it may be possible to take the test at another location. Other Minnesota State College and University System institutions may allow you to complete the test at their institution even though you will attend SCC. It is important to connect with them directly and let them know that you are testing for admissions at South Central College so you take the right sections of the assessment.
If you live outside the state of Minnesota, please contact our office at 507-389-7220, option 1 to discuss options with an Academic Advisor.
How long are test scores valid?
Test scores for Reading/English areas are valid for 3 years and Math scores (starting with Arithmetic) are valid for 2 years from the date of testing.